Scallops served with a sweet wasabi vinaigrette. YES!
Happy Monday to you!
It’s probably the wasabi, but this dish reminds me of my favorite sushi dishes. I can always eat sushi, but sometimes I go through phases where I want it every other day. Like, I crave it really bad. So I eat it for lunch and then pick it up on the way home for dinner. If my husband ever turned down sushi, I would think he was sick. There’s this sushi place that he has been taking me to since before we ever started dating. He has been going there since it first opened and was nothing but a hole in the wall. It has now expanded considerably since he first took me, and while we aren’t as happy with how mainstream it has become, and how rude some of the waitstaff is, the sushi rolls remain the same. I have stopped trying sushi in other restaurants, it just isn’t anywhere near as good as “our spot”.
These scallops are quickly sauteed and then drizzled with a wasabi vinaigrette. I served them over my orange orzo with basil, and the flavors worked really well together. You can use large sea scallops or bay scallops, just make sure they are labeled “dry” scallops. My plan was to use large sea scallops, but my grocery store didn’t have dry scallops. So I went with a package of Faroe Island dry scallops, they worked out just as well.
Scallops with Wasabi Vinaigrette
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tsp. Wasabi paste
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tsp. Brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Peeled, grated, fresh ginger
- 1 lb. Dry scallops
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Arrange scallops in a single layer, leaving space around each one. Cook for 3-5 minutes, turn each scallop, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until just cooked through. Repeat with remaining scallops, if needed.
- Drizzle scallops with vinaigrette and serve immediately.