Normally I hate Mondays, but today marks the start of a holiday week. I only work 2 days this week and then I’ll be busy stuffing my face with the most glorious food ever!
So, I’m always in need of really good, quick recipes in the days leading up to a holiday.
I’m planning out desserts and side dishes.
Maybe thinking about a charcuterie board.
Definitely thinking about cocktails!
I don’t have time to slave away in the kitchen like I normally do. But I still want a good meal.
Don’t we all?
Mexican is usually my go to.
Actually, Mexican is my go to for everything.
I whipped up these fake refried beans the other day for lunch and they hit the spot. They’re fake because we’re going to use canned beans. But they were the perfect filling for a quesadilla and I found myself just sitting in my kitchen and mindlessly eating them right out of the bowl before I left for work.
Ugh. So good!
Pretty sure these beans and that quesadilla will be happening again today.
“Refried” Black Beans
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 3/4 C White Onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- Dash chipotle chile powder
- 1 Garlic clove, diced
- 1 Can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 C water
- Bacon fat/grease (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium sized skillet. Add onion, cumin, chili powder, salt, chile powder and cook until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add beans and water. Use a potato masher to mash beans to the consistency that you want. This is also the time to add the bacon fat if you want it. I added about 1/2 Tbsp.
- Serve beans with cilantro.